The City requires that all dogs over 6 months old be licensed. Licenses are valid for one year, expiring on December 31st of the year.
Licensed animals receive a tag, which should be attached to the dogs collar or harness.
Other requirements as stipulated in Chapter 8 of the City Code include:
- All dogs will have a current rabies vaccination.
- An owner shall keep the dog under restraint at all times within the defined area; in the unrestricted zone, the dog may be unrestrained provided the owner keeps the dog from entering private property.
- Structures pens, and yards must be kept clean and free from objectionable odor.
- Female dogs in heat must be restrained so as to prevent contact with male dogs - except for planned breeding purposes.
- An owner of a vicious dog must either confine the dog in a building or secure enclosure, or muzzle the dog so it cannot injure other animals, persons, or their property. Premises confining such a dog must have a sign posted conspicuously to that effect.
- An owner must prevent the dog from:
- biting or attacking a person;
- chasing passersby or passing vehicles;
- attacking other animals;
- damaging private or public property;
- barking, whining or howling continuously for a period exceeding 15 minutes; and
- defecating on public property or on private property other than the owner's property.